Saturday, March 1, 2008

Thing #20 - Libraries and Social Networks

FACEBOOK
It took me a LONG time to sign up to be in Facebook, and since I am at work ;-) I just joined one group, instead of spending a lot more time gawking at all the available ones... I joined "Why doesn't anyone like classical music anymore?" I joined this one because the name was intriguing! I wanted to see who all was in this group and what they had to say, since I play and teach music as well as being a librarian :-)

MYSPACE
I went to the Hennepin County Library's MySpace page. It really was pretty impressive. They have "quick links" to advertise their new books, CDs, and DVDs, such as "Best Books of 2007". They have many blogs that people can join in on and express their views. There is also a considerable amount of space devoted to teens. There is a book reading advisory, social advice on such topics as dating and health issues, a "Teen Tech Month" feature, and a special blog just for this age group, as well as a lot of opportunities for online socializing.

No comments: